KERALA PSC SOLVED QUESTION PAPER
Secretariat Assistant (General Knowledge Part)
Exam held on 05-06-2004
Questions 1 to 5 : Choose synonymous word
1. To surprise somebody greatly:
A. Apprise B. Antonyms C. Astonish D. Reveal
ANS: C. Astonish
2.To make something more important that it realy:
A. Excess B. Elaborate C. Strees upon D. Exaggerate
ANS: B. Exaggerate
3.Express one opinion without evidence or full knowledge:
A. Specify B. Speculate C. Concede D. Sensing
4. An event that will happen soon:
A. Imminent B. Damnsure C. Immense D. Immutable
ANS: A. Imminent
5.To lead somebody to do something:
A. Persuade B. Placate C. Persecute D. Perpend
Questions 6 to 10 : Four words are given in each .There of them can be grouped together applying a principle. One word does not belong to the group. Find it out.
6. A .Violet B. Blue C. Magenda D. Green
ANS: C. Magenda. All others colours present in rainbow.
7. A. Cucumber B. Carrot C. Brinjal D. Ladies finger
ANS: B. Carrot. It is a root vegetable.
8 .A. Yaswanth Sinha B. Jaswant Singh
C. Shatrugnan Sinha D. Manmohan Singh
ANS: C. Shatrugnan Sinha.
All others were Finance Minister of India D. Manmohan singh also can be the answers. as others were only union ministers while Manmohan Singh is the Prime Minister.
9. A. Cancel B. Nullify C. Void D. Confirm
ANS: D. Confirm
10. A.G. Sanakarakuruppu B. O.N.V Kuruppu
C. S.K Pottekkadu D. Thakazhi Sivasankarapillai
ANS: B. O.N.V Kuruppu
(G. Sanakarakuruppu,S.K Pottekkadu and Thakazhi Sivasankarapillaiall the recipients of Jnanpith award).
Questions 11 to 13 : Three words are given. There is a relationship between the first two words. Select a word that expresses a similar relationship with the third word from the given alternatives.
11. Panther Panjali : Sathyajith Ray ; Athithi:
A. K.P Kumaran B. M.T Vasudevan Nair
C. T.V Chandran D. P.A Backer
ANS: K.P Kumaran
12. Pareekkuty : Madhu ; Chemban Kunju:
A. P.J Antony B. Jose Prakash
B. Govindankutty D. Kottarakara Sreedharan Nair
ANS: D. Kottarakara Sreedharan Nair. P.J Antony First Keralite get Bharat award
13. Bangladesh : Dhaka ; Austria :
A. Canberra B. Lapaz C. Santiago D. Vienna
ANS: D. Vienna ( Canberra- Capital of Austalia, Santiago- Capital of Chile)
21. Adolph Hitler committed suicide in
A. 1943 B. 1944 C.1945 D.1946
ANS: C. 1945. Hitler became the Chancellor of Germany in 1933.
22. Congress Socialist party was formed in
A. 1934 B. 1935 C. 1936 D. 1938
ANS: A. 1934. Congress Socialist Party was set up in 1934 under Acharya Narendra Dev and Jayaprakash Narayanan.
23. IMF/World Bank was formed in
A. 1942 B. 1944 C. 1946 D.1947
ANS: No right answer. IMF – was established in 1945 and started functioning in 1947. World Bank was set in 1944 and began operation in 1946.
24. Kyoto Conference was held in
A. 1992 B. 1993 C. 1996 D. 1997
ANS: D. 1997.
25. Indian Patent Act was formed in
A. 1970 B. 1975 C. 1977 D. 1980
ANS: A. 1970
26. ‘One Life’ is written by
A. Dr B. Iqbal B. Bergnan
C. Kurozowa D. Dr. Christiaan Bernard
ANS: D. Christiaan Bernard. One life is book written by Dr. Christiaan Bernard. He made the first human heart transplant in 1967.
27.’The Interpretation of Dreams‘ is written by
A. Eric Erikson B. Sigmund Freud
C. A.Beck D. Kraeplin
ANS: B. Sigmund Freud. Freud was the founder of Psychoanalysis. Psychopathology of Every Life, The Ego and the Id are his other famous work.
28. ‘Kesavante Vilapangal’ is written by
A. M. Mukundhan B. O.V.Vijayan
C. Anand D. Perumbadavam Sreedharan
ANS:. M. Mukundhan
29. First Malayalam cinema is:
A. Balan B. Newspaper Boy
C. Harishchandra D. Vigatha Kumaran
ANS: D. Vigatha Kumaran
30. The Director of the film ‘Susanna’ is :
A. T.V Chandran B. Priyadarsan
C. Adoor Gopalakrishnan D. Lenin Rajendran
ANS:A. T.V Chandran
31. The Nigerian Novelist who won the Nobel Prize
A. Cold Seamong B. Vol Soyinga
C. Joseph Bordskey D. None of the above
ANS:B. Vol soyigna - Dr Zivago is a book written by Russian novelist Boris Pasternak.
32. ‘World AIDS Day’:
A. April 17th B. June 5th
C. December1st D. February 14th
ANS: C. December 1st
World Health Day – April 7 World Environment Day – June 5
Valenties Day – February 14
33. The famous film song ‘Easwaran Hinduvalla , Islamalla, Christaniyalla, Indranum chandranumalla’ was written by :
A. O.N.V Kuruppu B. S.L Puram Sadanandan
C. Vayalar ramavarma D. None of the above
ANS:C. Vayalar Ramavarma.
34. FIFA President:
A. Sep Blatter B. Urz Linzy
C. H.K Dua D. None of the above
ANS: A. Seep Blatter - FIFA celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2004. FIFA was formed on May 21, 1904
35. Erethrean Sea is :
A. Bay of Bengal B. Indian Ocean
C. Red Sea D. Arabian Sea
ANS: C. Red sea - Malagasy islands is the biggest island in the Indian ocean.
56. Who proposed the atomic theory?
A. John Dalton B. Neils Bohr C. Chadwick D. Rutherford
ANS: A. John Dalton
Dalton proposed that all matter is composed of extremely small particulars called atoms.
57. Father of Electricity:
A. Michal Faraday B. J.J Thompson C. Edison D. Ampere
ANS: A. Michel Faraday
Father of Nuclear Physics – Ernest Rutherford.
Father of Atom Bomb – Otto Hahn.
58. Who is related to Green Revolution in India?
A. Varghese Kurian B.Anand
C. Dr.M.S.Swaminathan D. Medha Padkar
ANS:C. Dr. M.S. Swaminathan
M.S Swaminathan, eminent agricultural scientist will now heads a committee appointed by the Agriculture Ministry to prepare a national policy on Agrie – Biotechnology
59.Dengue Fever is caused by ___
A. Bacteria B. Virus
C. Fungi D. Not produced by infective agent
ANS: B. Virus
60. Temporary hardness of water is due to ____
A. Calcium chloride B. Sodium carbonate
C. Sodium chloride D. Magnesium bicarbonate
ANS: D. Magnesium bicarbonates.
Temporary hardness of water is due the presence of bicarbonates of calcium and magnesium.
61. Global warning is due to the increased the production of all the following EXCEPT:
A. Carbon dioxide B. Ethane C. Methane D. Sulpher dioxide
ANS: D. Sulphur dioxide
Carbon compounds are mainly responsible for Green House Effect.
62. The concept that all plants are made of cells was put forward by:
A. Theodor Schwan B. R. Virchow
C. Louis Pasteur D. M.J Schleiden
ANS: D. M.J Schleiden
63. All the following are noble metals EXPECT:
A. Mercury B. Gold C. Silver D. Platinum
ANS: D. Mercury
Mercury is referred to to as the first superconducting metel.
64. EEG is used to study the function of :
A. Herat B. Muscle
C. Brain D. Nerve
ANS: ECG (Electrocardiogram) is used to study the function of heart.
65. DNA model is put forward by:
A. Ilan Wilmut B. Dr. Henri Becquirel
C. Robert Hook D. None of the above
ANS: D. None of these
DNA model was propounded by Watson and Crick in 1953
66. World Heavy- weight Champion of 2003:
A. Clistsco B. Muhammed Ali
C. Linnex Lewis D. None of the above
ANS: C. Linnex Lewis
67. Second Kerala Chief Minister is:
A. Pattom Thanu Pillai B. EMS
C. C. Achutha Menon D. R.Sankar
ANS: A. Pattom Thanu Pillai.
68. The slogan ‘Inquilab Zindabad’ was first used by:
A. Bhagat Singh B. Subhash Candra Bose
C. V.I Lenin D. Ajay Ghosh
ANS: A. Bhagat Singh
The slogan of ‘Inquilab Zindabad’ was given by the revolutionary , group ‘Hindustan Socialist Republic Association .
69. ‘Sadhu Jana Paripalana Sangam’ is founded by:
A. A.K Gopalan B. Ayyankali
C. Sree Narayana Guru D. Vakkom Maulavi
ANS: B. Ayyankali
70. All of the following area Dravidian language EXCEPT:
A. Malayalam B. Telungu C. Thulu D. Marathi
72. Capital of Keneya:
A. Aman B. Nairobi C. Cairo D. Beirut
ANS: B. Nairobi - Cairo is the capital of Egypt.
73. First computer virus:
A. Gappi B. Meleesa C. Norton D. Apple
ANS: D. Apple - VIRUS refers Vital Information Resources Under Siege
74. Who declared that ”Swaraj is my birth right and I must have it” ?
A. Bhagat Singh B. Balagangadhar Tilak
C. Mahatma Gandhi D. Subhash Chandra bose
ANS: B. Balagangadhar Tilak. “Dilli Chalo” and “Jai Hind” were coined by Subhash Chandra Bose.
75. All of the following persons are extremists of Independence movement EXCEPT:
A. Lala Lajpat Rai B. Bipin Chandrapal
C. Gopalakrishna Gokhale D. Aurobindo Ghosh
ANS: C. Gopalakrishna Gokhale
Gokhale, Dadabhahi Naoroji, and Feroz Shah Mehta were liberal politicians.
76. Which of the following event is related to General Dyer?
A. Jalianwala Bagh massacre B. Wagon Tragedy
C. Chittagong Riot D. Punnapra Vayalar struggle
ANS: A. Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
Jallianwala Bagh Massacre held on April 13, 1919 at Amritsar
77. First battle of Panipat was between:
A. Hemu and Akbar B. Marathas East India Company
C. Babur and Ibrahim Lodi D. East India Company and Portuguese
ANS: C. Babur and Ibrahim Lodhi
The first battle of Panipat was held in A.D 1526
78. Where did Gandhiji launched his first struggle?
A. Navaghaly B. Dandi C. Kappad D. Champaran
ANS: D. Champaran
Gandhiji’s is first Satyagraha in India was fro the rights of indigo workers in Champaran in 1917.
79. Who presided the first session of All India Trade Union Congress?
A. Subhash Chandra Bose B. Lal Lajpat Rai
C. C.R. Das D. Jawaharlal Nehru
ANS: C. C.R. Das - All India Trade Union Congress was formed in 1920.
80. Volunteer captain of Guruvayoor Temple Sathyagraha:
A. A.K Gopalan B. K.kelappan
C. Pattom Thanupillai D. Ayyankali
ANS: A. A K Gopalan - K Kelappan was the leader of Guruvayoor Satyagraha in 1931
81.The East India Company established its first factory at
A. Surat B. Pune C. Culcutta D. Bombay
ANS: A. Surat
Dutch East India Company was established in 1592
82. Formation of the INA was the result of the great efforts made by
A. Captain Lakshmi Bai B. Rash Behari Bose
C. Subhash Chandra Bose D. Aurobindo Ghosh
ANS: B. Rash Behari Bose
The Idea of the INA was first conceived by Malaya by Mohan Singh, an Indian officer of British Indian Army.
On September 1, 1942, the fist division of the INA was formed with 16,300 men led by Mohan Singh, Rash Behari Bose and Niranjan Singh Gill.
The Second phase of the INA began on July 2, 1943 by Subhash Chandra Bose in Singapore.
83. In which conference did Subhash Chandra Bose was elected as the president of India National Congress?
A. Avadi B. Pune C. Tripuri D. Bombay
ANS: C. Tripuri
Subhash Chandra Bose become the first elected President of INC in 1938 (Haripura Session)
84. RSS was banned in 1948 in relation with
A. India-Pak division B. Hindu-Muslim War
C. Subhash Chandra Bose D. Assassination Of Mahatma Gandhi
ANS: D. Assassination of Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhiji was assassinated by a Hindu fanatic Nathuram Vinayak Godse.
85. ‘Bhruhaspathi’ is related with
A. Arya Samajam B. Medicine
C. Indus civilization D. Charvakamatham
ANS: D. Charvakamatham
86. The slogan ’American Model Arabikadalil’ is related with
A. Telungana struggle B. Punnapara-Vayalar struggle
C. Kayyur Struggle D. Vaikom Sathyagraha
ANS: B. Punnapra Vayalar Struggle (1946)
87. ‘Keralam Malayalikalude Mathrubhoomi’ was written by
A. Kumaranasan B. Thakazhi C. E.M.S D. Vallathol
ANS: C. EMS
88. Male-Female sex ratio of India 2001 census is:
A. 1000:933 B. 1000:1040 C. 1000:939 D. 1000:1046
ANS: A. 1000 : 933
The sex ratio of Kerala according to the 2001 census is 1000 : 1058
89. The Prime Minister who started privatization in Britain:
A. Margaret Thatcher B. John Major
C. Tony Blair D. Winston Churchill
ANS: A. Margaret Thatcher
Thatcher is known the ‘Iron Lady’. She is also the first women Prime Minister of Britain
90. The smallest state in world
A. Russia B. Vatican C. Sri Lanka D. Cuba
ANS: B. Vatican
Vatican is also the least populous city in the world.
91. The persons who became the chief Minister for the longest period in India:
A. E.K Narayanan B. Vasantha Sate
C. Jyothi Basu D. K.Karunakaran
ANS: C. Jyothi Basu
EK Narayanan is the longest serving Chief Minister of Kerala.
92. Who was the first speaker of Lok sabha?
A. Sivaraj Patel B. Jagjeevan Ram
C. Lal Bahadur Shasthri D. G.V Mavlankar
ANS: D. G.V Mavlankar
93. Panchayathi Raj instructions came in to effect with the amendment of the constitution:
A. 70th B. 73rd C. 76th D. 79th
ANS: B. 73rd
94. Who is the president of newly declared independent country, East Timor?
A. Xanana Gusmao B. Hugo Chavez
C. Lula da Zilva D. Nuster Kitchnarre
ANS: Correct answer is Jose Ramos Horta
East Timer become the 191st member of United Station
95. The Chairman of Constitution review committee:
A. Kuldip Nayyar B. Justice Kbare
C. Justice Varma D. Justice Venkita Chellaiya
ANS: A. Justice Venkita Chellaya
96. Monthly Salary of Chief Justice in India:
A. Rs. 30000 B. Rs. 31000 C. Rs. 33000 D. Rs 50000
ANS: C. Rs. 33,000
97. What is B.O.D.?
A. Biological Oxygen Demand B. Biochemistry of Diseases
C. Biochemical Oxygen Demand D. None of the above
ANS: A & C are correct. – Biological Oxygen Demand and Biochemical Oxygen Demand .
The estimation B.O.D gives an idea of the amount of pollution in water.
98. Meenamatha disease is relate with
A. Cadmium B. Mercury C. Lead D. Iron
ANS: B. Mercury
99. National party one which could secure not less than ___ % of the total valid votes in the previous general election.
A. 4% B. 6% C. 8% D. 9%
ANS: B. 6%
100. The theory that ‘ the continents will travel’ was first put forward by:
A. Antonio Sneider B. F.J Wine C. D.H Mathews D. Alfred Wegner
ANS: D. Alfred Wegner